The term SIP stands for session initiation protocol; it is a communications protocol used to create, modify, and terminate sessions with one or more user.
So what will SIP actually do for your business!?
SIP is a way of delivering numerous communications over the internet. You can therefore run your telephone lines over this system, allowing users to make voice and video calls, mostly for free!
SIP is also ideal for any business which already has a PBX system installed, but wants to use IP for their communications both in and outside their company. A SIP trunk will allow you to connect to the traditional PSTN network and make calls in this way. Whereas with traditional telephony, there are bundles of wires delivering this service, a SIP trunk will replace these traditional lines and allow a company to make calls via the SIP trunking service and the internet provider.
The most interesting feature of SIP for any business is the cost savings that can be derived from harnessing this sort of technology.
What are the benefits of SIP trunks?
With the on-going adoption of VoIP and SIP trunks there is little doubt it is the future of telephone communications. Some of the benefits include:
- Scalability – SIP trunks provide increased channel capacity on demand without the high cost and lengthy lead times associated with installing new fixed lines
- Cost – ISDN rentals cost more than SIP trunks
- Business Continuity – SIP trunks allow for more flexibility when planning for DR scenarios with easy trunk registration and call forwarding options
- Flexibility – No limitation to geographic area, all that is required is a connection to the internet
- Virtual Presence – customers can take UK and International virtual numbers from any area
To check whether your number can be ported please email firstname.lastname@example.org.